11 and 12.9-inch Apple iPad



11 and 12.9-inch Apple iPad: Best Way to Buy a New iPad Pro: If you're ready to buy a new iPad Pro, there are a few things to consider before buying. Apple has recently revealed the next generation iPad Pro. The 2018 model includes 11 and 12.9-inch edge-to-edge LCD displays, Face ID, and compatibility with the new Apple Pencil 2. In case you're considering getting the latest and greatest. The best way to buy your iPad with the best experience is to go from here.

You can host the new iPad Pro (2018) now with a November 7 release date, as some models have moved their conversion dates to mid-November. What iPad Pro and what do you have to buy? The iPad Pro 2018 comes in two sizes: 11-inch and 12.9-inch. It is unidirectional open with 1TB of range and comes in silver and less space and with Wi-Fi or with Wi-Fi and cellular. These are the methods by which the estimate is separated for each. Would it be smart for you to send me my iPad or store it at the store?

This is all taken into account, depending on how quickly you need your iPad and whether you have to drive to your neighborhood store on the day of shipment. If you have your iPad in hand, then you are inspired by the UPS or FedEx drivers in your neighborhood. If your driver arrives regularly at 8am, you can get your iPad earlier in the day; If your house or level doesn't shake regularly until 8pm, you may feel a bit of FOMO. If you are considering trading in your old iPad for some extra money.

You can do so on the web or with your close relatives. What's the point of buying my new iPad? - There are many different ways to buy your new iPad Pro, the way you normally take it is always useful for you. Best way to deal with organization on the web: Apple Store apps - If you want to avoid moderated web pages, you can use your current iPhone or iPad to orchestrate methods for the Apple Store app.

This is my favorite method, in light of the fact that the app is smart, straightforward, requires no effort on your part, and is the best you can use Apple Pay for. You can also assign your new iPad for in-app store pickup. It may be to some extent that your current iPad is intending to buy a new one, anyway. Hello everyone, prudent and prudent when asking. If you need to use a PC: Apple Online - If you don't have the motivation to do something different, Apple.com is the minimal request way to organize your new iPad on the web.


11-inch iPad Pro experiment


11-inch Apple iPad pro



11-inch iPad Pro experiment: If you are looking for the iPad Pro in the market, choosing the ideal model size is not easy. This used to be simple, when the larger option was enlarged by its bezels and the smaller option had significantly lower performance. I have used the 12.9-inch iPad Pro as my main computer for five years and am very happy with it, but as the performance of the smaller iPad Pro has increased, I have become more ingrained in it. The 2017 10.5-inch iPad Pro was the first small model that wooed me.

The 9.7-inch 2016 just wasn't enough; As an iPad user since 2010, I knew what a 9.7-inch screen looked like and it didn't suit my needs as a main computer. But the impact of the screen in 2017 was complicated, so I gave it a try for a couple of weeks. Conclusions - It was a good device, but the split view was a bit tight, and since I used it mainly on a large scale rather than using my iPad at home regularly, my needs were to stick with the larger model. Makes more sense for.

However, I recently adopted another test of the smaller iPad Pro. In the latest episode of Adapt, the iPad-centric podcast I do with Federico, I challenged both of us to test our work on the 11-inch iPad Pro instead of our usual 12.9-inch setup. In my opinion, it was the right time to try the smaller size again because a lot has changed with my experiment from 2017. First, the performance of the smaller iPad Pro has grown again. The gap between 11 and 12.9 inches is relatively tight.

Also, although the current epidemic has forced me to work from home more than ever, I carried my iPad regularly before this global crisis. In 2017 I lived in the suburbs of Dallas, whereas now I call Manhattan my home, so it is very easy to walk out the door of my house and work visiting a local coffee shop, a park or any other public place. Finally, the concept of the iPad as a modular computer has been another motivator to try the 11-inch model. I normally use my 12.9-inch iPad Pro exclusively with a hardware keyboard in "laptop mode".

But lately I was wondering if this approach is too narrow, which would not allow me to realize the full potential of the versatility of the device. Using my iPad Pro seems complicated not only as a laptop, but also as a tablet or desktop setup, and for a variety of reasons I'll detail later, I think the 11-inch model for these optional setups is better. So a few weeks ago I ordered an 11-inch iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard for the 11 and 12.9-inch models.

I have also purchased a USB-C digital AV multiport adapter so that I can connect my iPad to an external display. All of these purchases led to a full comparison of the two iPad Pro sizes, expanding the phablet, laptop, and desktop configurations, with the goal of determining which iPad was the best for me. As I mentioned, I was already very happy with my 12.9-inch model, so my focus was specifically on testing the 11-inch and evaluating its unique strengths. Here I have learned from my experiment and will use my decision to move forward on the iPad.

My time with the 11-inch iPad Pro has been marked with a huge surprise these past few weeks, some of which have been positive and some negative. In a surprisingly good area, the split view on the small iPad hasn't really been a problem for me, which wasn't all that I anticipated. Every day I spend ~ 12 hours on my iPad Pro, I do about half that time in Split View. As a result, I was hoping that the split view you would face by adopting the 11-inch screen would pose the biggest challenge.

The small iPad Pro, in a 50/50 split view, uses a compact design for apps, while the 12.9-inch device features two standard iPad-like designs. The 11-inch apps in Split View are essentially iPhone apps, but they are wider, while the 12.9-inch apps can include additional features, such as displaying the sidebar menu along with the main content of the app. Here the two devices are compared side by side. Without a doubt, there is a clear difference.

However, what I felt during this experiment is that when I'm working in split view on my 12.9-inch model, I never have the main content area or the application sidebar menu on the screen. is. As shown above, I think it closes when looking at three or four different Too panels simultaneously. So my default practice is to hide those sidebar menus for a cleaner, more focused setup. My usual practice on the 12.9-inch iPad Pro is to hide the sidebar menu in split view.

My habit of lowering the sidebar means that, in most cases, the difference between split view on the 12.9 and 11-inch models is minimal. Make sure there is more room to display content on larger models, but in actual use I haven't experienced much of a difference from the work I normally do. An exception to this is the application, but there are two. Apple has not cheated the system with one of its applications. The exception to my practice without a sidebar in split view is App Slack.

Since the chat platform requires a lot of switching between different channels, direct messages, and even many different workstations that I maintain on a regular basis, Slack is an application that makes me want to. I can see many panels on the screen at once. This is possible if you loosen a large app on a 66/33 split view, but at the 50/50 setting I use most often, than constantly switching to Slack's menu view, as if it were a problem for the iPhone.

Safari in Split View retains the tab despite using a compact design. The second application, which would have been more problematic for me than Slack, is Safari. In split view, I don't use any application that is more prevalent than Safari. And the biggest drawback I got when I tested the 10.5-inch iPad Pro in 2017 was Safari's compact design in Split View. Then unsurprisingly, the 50/50 split view layout for Apple's browser was similar to that of its iPhone companion, where you may not have the proper tabs.

But you were forced to use the iPhone system in The sites presented as a stack of cards were included. . Too bad Apple changed it at some point so the now smaller iPad Pro can display a proper tab bar in split view. This is the only system app I know of that gets this particular exception, except for a compact design for something similar to the standard iPad view. Due to my heavy use of Safari and disdain for the card-based tab system on the iPhone, I am very happy with this change.

Without it, Safari using the 11-inch model might be a deal breaker for me, but thanks to Apple's special exception here, it's not a problem. Overall, I'm amazed at how well the 11-inch iPad Pro performs for me while multitasking. Depending on your own work or the desire to put the sidebar menu on the screen in split view, the story may be different for you. But for me, it's completely fine. 11-inch full-screen view: surprisingly limited. Two iPad Pro sizes. Full-screen views, on the other hand, have proven to be a more difficult fit than I expected.

When I say 'full screen views', I mean a wide range of undivided view settings, usually related to layout settings within apps, but also in places like the home screen where everything on the screen is more limited. than the 12.9-inch siblings. When starting with the apps, the main problem I found is the absence of a three-column layout in Apple Notes and Mail, which are exclusive to the larger iPad Pro. I am a heavy user of both applications and especially Notes, where I have more than 1,500 notes among more than 75 folders and subfolders.

Notes is also unknowingly the app for me to have the most windows open - as I type, I have seven different saved windows, one scrolling, four-in-one, split view pages, ulysses, Matched with Books and Numbers, and the remaining two as full-screen windows. Since I use this app, I can see the whole folder in my list, the notes in the selected folder, and the body of the selected note is very valuable to me. I've gotten used to not having this option on most 11-inch iPad Pros, but I still miss it. Three-column layout is unique to the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. Here are some other annoying apps.

In Safari, see fewer favorites in the Favorites bar; The keyboard row does not show the keychain key icon, I need to login, not password and account to open settings; In Morning Reader, which I check multiple times a day, the larger iPad displays all ten tech headlines at once, while the 11-inch requires scrolling for a full observation. I should also point out that after a few days with the system default text size, I adjusted the text a bit in the Settings Settings Display and Brightness Size text size.

The default size seemed to be larger than what I used to see on the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, while moving it down a bit seemed fine. This, of course, had the advantage of displaying more content on screen than before in applications that supported dynamic type. The 11-inch home screen has some limitations. The 11-inch iPad Pro's home screen is pretty much the same at 12.9-inches, and it fits the same number of icons on the grid, but there are some notable differences.

With the 11-inch model, you lose a couple of slots in the base, the most important location for apps, even though the grid slot is compatible with devices. The three suggested / recent apps on the right don't count, the larger iPad dock has 15 slots, while the smaller one has 13. Two fewer slots are not a big deal, especially if you have a folder on your dock. But it is worth noting. The other change is the number of widgets you can pin to the home screen.

When using a compact design, the larger iPad can display four widgets at any one time, while the smaller iPad can only display three. Again, this is not the end of the world, but it can make a significant difference for you. Tablet mode: 12.9-inch and 11-inch iPad Pro models. Despite its development over the past decade, the iPad remains a tablet at its core. However, as I mentioned at the beginning, I did not use my 12.9-inch iPad Pro, it has been my main computer as a tablet in five years.

Even before the iPad Pro, I used an iPad or iPad Mini as a tablet and I liked it. It wasn't my main computer, but it didn't have to be. Once I had an iPad Pro and a large screen with an attached smart keyboard, the device became a laptop for me and nothing else. On rare occasions, when I tried to use it as a tablet, I felt bad; I found it too big to be a good tablet. There was also talk of regularly mounting and unmounting the Smart Keyboard Folio.

While it is not at all difficult to get the iPad out of that case, it certainly takes genuine intention and effort to do so; It's a bit more cumbersome than mine. One of my favorite details about the new Magic Keyboard, on the other hand, is that its floating design invites you to grab the iPad and take it with you. The bottom area of ​​the iPad detaches from the case, so you can easily access and enter tablet mode. The absence of use of any tablet mode in my life has historically not bothered me much, as I found the trade-off of having a great 'laptop'.

But with the tablet-friendly design of the 11-inch iPad Pro and the new Magic Keyboard, I was wondering if I could still enjoy the identity of the tablet and iPad as a laptop. What I have discovered in recent weeks is that while the 11-inch iPad Pro is certainly a great tablet, the very concept of a tablet, for my use cases, is not as compelling as it used to be. When I started using my 11-inch iPad Pro and Magic Keyboard, I tried to think of situations where I wanted to take an iPad and use it as a tablet.

I attributed this to my lack of habit and assumed this would change over time. However, since my trial period with the device was limited to just a few weeks, I initially went back and tried to find immediate inspiration for using tablet mode - Steve Jobs' first iPad. Steve Jobs on the unique merits of the iPad. This great Keynote from 2010 was Apple's way of showing the world that there was also a 'third world device', even in a world where we already had smartphones and laptops. The heart of the argument is that this third device had to be "better at some important things" than an iPad, phone or laptop. Seven of those things were named:

  • Browsing
  • Email
  • The pictures
  • Video
  • music
  • sport
  • E-books

Using the 11-inch iPad Pro as a tablet, I rated the device in each of these seven categories. IPad is an excellent tool for web browsing. When you hold the device in portrait orientation, you can see an entire web design in your hand and it looks great. The web sounds great on a tablet (left), but most of my "browsing" now takes place on Apple News (right). However, my web browsing habits have changed a lot in the last decade. While I used to browse sites on a daily basis for fun or pure interest. These days my browsing is mostly limited to work matters.

I'll be browsing the sites as a way to stay on top of any Apple news that needs to be covered, but in those situations my best iPad setup involves using it in laptop mode because if the cover is news-wise, I'll quickly need an attached keyboard. It's not that I never enjoy the web in an entertaining way, just that my web content consumption habits have changed. For example, some of my interests are television, movies, books, soccer, and popular news. You may have visited personal websites in 2010 to pursue these interests.

But in recent years I have moved that navigation to the Apple News app. While Apple News works well on the iPad, it's just as great on the iPhone, and it's where I've gotten used to using the app most often. If you were comparing Safari browsing on iPad to iPhone, iPad would easily win. Standard web designs on the iPad in tablet mode look great, and this is often not true on the iPhone - some sites are unresponsive and even on them, ads quickly saturate the experience on such a small screen can do.

But in Apple News, with a small cavity, 1 I just read everything on the small screen of the iPhone, and I love being able to comfortably hold my iPhone with one hand while reading, with the iPad, the small 11 Also with an inch size, the One-handed use is comfortable for a short time. In short, Jobs claims that the iPad is better at web browsing, but this is an irrelevant advantage to me. Keeping my hardware keyboard on hold requires my work-related browsing, and my entertaining browsing through Apple News on my iPhone is better.

The software keyboard takes up a lot of space on the screen in landscape and in the picture is too wide for a relaxed thumb. The software keyboard takes up a lot of space on the screen in landscape and in the picture is too wide for a relaxed thumb. It's simple: the Magic Keyboard uses much more when processing email than the keyboard software on the iPad. This may just be a personal preference, but I think that in any scenario that involves typing text, beyond a subtle burst of typing, like responding to iMessage, I need a hardware keyboard.

Maybe sitting in an armchair just touching can make email more enjoyable, but what I find most enjoyable through my inbox is getting faster and faster so I can spend as little time on email as possible. And for that, you need a hardware keyboard. The laptop iPad easily beats tablet mode when it comes to email. Here's one area where I can disproportionately say that the iPad is better than either option. Browsing and managing photos on the naked iPad is absolutely delightful. I like to have my photos in hand on an 11-inch screen.

I'm one of those people who still manually checks for them, which I want to keep and can be removed. I usually do this on my iPhone, although sometimes on my iPad in laptop mode, but the best experience is definitely the iPad in tablet mode. Video: The 11-inch iPad Pro's aspect ratio is better for most videos than the 12.9-inch model, but I never watch videos in tablet mode or have any desires. If I'm looking at something on an iPad screen, I don't need to hold the screen while looking.

My ideal setup is to place the iPad in front of me on a magic keyboard or smart keyboard folio, and in those scenarios the 12.9-inch iPad Pro is a better option for video, because it's bigger. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I take a step back and relax to look instead of holding or holding an iPad in my hand. Music: In the pre-Apple Watch era, perhaps the iPad was preferable to music in some ways, providing more screen real estate for browsing and managing your library. But now almost all of my music listeners are managed on my iPhone (which connects to my AirPods Pro or HomePod).

The main reason I like the iPhone, as I indicated, is that the autoplay view on the Apple Watch allows me to easily control music playback from my iPhone on my wrist. If I am playing something with my iPad, my watch has not given me playback control, so I will have to negotiate directly with the iPad to make adjustments or what is playing. It makes more sense to me to do everything through the iPhone, so whether I listen at home or out, through my AirPods or HomePod, I always play through my Apple Watch and now I play Have immediate access to controls.

For the best games with a controller, the bigger the better. This is another area where I think my 12.9-inch iPhone or iPad Pro is better than an 11-inch iPad in tablet mode. My thinking is simple: if I'm playing a game designed for touch, it will definitely work better on the iPhone, and I like to play with one hand when possible; If it is not a game optimized for playing, I will not use a connected Bluetooth controller to play, in which case I will put my iPad on the Magic Keyboard instead of tablet mode. And while both iPad sizes work well in this configuration, the larger screen has an advantage.

There is no area of ​​tablet use that has been a bigger disappointment to me than reading e-books. I've read a lot of books, and since I got the larger iPad Pro, I've gotten used to reading on my iPhone instead of my iPad, although until 2015 I always read on my iPad or iPad Mini. My hope is that using the 11-inch iPad Pro will allow me to read the tablet again, but I was disappointed in the experience. Perhaps the biggest obstacle to reading comfortably is the lack of sufficient margins in Apple Books, my app of choice.

Apple doesn't provide any margin settings in its app, and although I already knew this, I was expecting the portrait orientation on the 11-inch iPad to be a healthy margin span; Instead, the margin level is minimal, making each line longer than I would have liked. This may sound silly, but in practice, long lines make me read slower, as my eyes have to walk the distance from side to side. I found that reading on my iPhone, where I can read at almost constant scrolling speeds, is the fastest way to consume books.

The only way to replicate this on the iPad is to put Books in Split View with another app, which I can only do on the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. Aside from the wrong margin issue, I've found that I prefer to read on my iPhone for two other reasons: one-handed use and true black background. I can keep my iPhone for long reading sessions without any inconvenience, whereas with the 11-inch iPad Pro I felt the need to change my settings regularly to be comfortable.

Also, I like to read with a real black background enabled by my iPhone's OLED screen. Until I read outdoors in broad daylight, I always keep the Book Night theme active because real black looks so beautiful to me; it is also a good battery saver. Tablet overview: Overall, using the iPad as a tablet has been a mixed bag for me and less convincing than I expected. Many of the things that used to be better on the iPad are now better suited to the iPhone or iPad in portable mode.

If I've done any drawing, sketch, or handwriting, it would be a great use for tablet mode, but I don't, so my remaining usage may be minimal. Even the simple matter of holding an 11-inch iPad Pro in your hand is a disappointment because the Apple Pencil is constantly on the way. When the iPad is connected to a keyboard in the landscape, it is perfect for sitting on top of the device with a stylus. But when you hold the device in your hand, it is difficult to get a comfortable grip.

I can only rotate the iPad so that my grip is the opposite of that of the pencil, but I change my hand regularly while holding it, so continuously rotating the device is not a great solution. Most of the day I need to be connected to a keyboard, so I am using a Magic Keyboard with my 11-inch iPad Pro. I went into detail about my Magic Keyboard experience with both sizes of iPad for MacStory Club members in the April monthly log, so you can read the entire article in the Club Collection.

In short, the Magic Keyboard for the 11-inch iPad Pro is a compromise experience, but it comes to life for me. The trackpad is slightly smaller than the 12.9-inch model, but the biggest problem is that almost all the keys, except the alphanumeric, are reduced in size compared to a standard keyboard. There are exceptions, such as command bars, options, and control keys sticking out of the space bar and arrow keys, but pretty much everything else is small, and in some cases much smaller than the standard size.

This has certainly led to more typing mistakes, but it is a problem that will resolve itself over time. In addition to the small key issue, I also have an issue with the Magic Keyboard for both iPad sizes where I can't balance it enough on my lap. For the same reason, I now placed the Magic Keyboard over the closed Smart Keyboard Folio, which acts as a perfect leveling surface and completely solves the problem. For the full story behind this solution, check out the My Club MacStories article.

Unfortunately, I don't have much to say about using an iPad connected to an external monitor, as this experiment confirmed my preference to avoid desktops when possible. My home desk is currently occupied by my wife most of the day because she is temporarily working from home, but I spent a day connecting 11 and 12.9-inch iPads in succession to my external monitor. I used the space for. It's a cheap monitor, so it's not 4K, and it's slightly wider than a standard monitor, so the aspect ratio isn't ideal for the iPad either.

When both were joined, there were significant black stripes on the top and sides. While I am pleased that desktop use is now a valid option for iPads, especially since mice and trackpads are supported, the software experience is extremely limited when connected to a monitor. Very few apps support APIs from years ago that allow for a personalized experience on external displays, and until Apple improves those APIs, I don't think that's going to change. Maybe if you had one of these you could use one as a desk.

Even if the software were better, working from a desktop might not be for me; I like to have more flexibility in my work system. It could change if I could invest in making a desk setup more suited to my needs, but currently my little Manhattan apartment doesn't have room for anything like that. I don't like the idea of ​​having separate keyboards and trackpads for my iPad Pro and Mac Mini, or sticking with the same set of accessories and constantly unpacking and repairing when switching devices.

Some third-party accessories provide hardware buttons to quickly switch between Bluetooth connections, but Apple currently offers nothing like this. So for now, iPad desktop usage is at the bottom of my priority list. I entered the experiment without having a clear idea of ​​how it would turn out. And the findings surprised me both positively and negatively. A quick overview of this article shows that many of the surprises were negative: the tablet mode as I did not expect.

The limitation of full-screen views and the connection to an external monitor is something that soon There is no desire to review again. However, despite all these drawbacks, I remember a lot about the 11-inch size. Aside from the positive fact that Split View works well for me on a smaller screen, there is something attractive about this device that is complicated. One might be surprised to see the computing power present in such a small package.

Perhaps the way the limited screen space reflects minimal spirit, making the 12.9-inch screen feel comparatively overkill. I wonder how easy it is for me to switch between two iPad sizes. Every time I resized, I quickly adopted the iPad in front of me. In fact, those people changed my first impression after moving to a size of 12.9 inches, which often makes it feel much bigger, while growing up to 11 inches makes me feel happier.

Maybe the 11-inch is still so new to me, but I don't think it can be explained that easily. Almost small size is a very nice thing to do. If I had bought both devices, and the one that suits me best, it would be a very difficult decision for me. As it stands, since I already had the 2018 12.9-inch model, and the 2020 11-inch version was on sale, the decision became much easier. My 12.9-inch iPad Pro: The 11-inch iPad Pro is a great device, and I may revisit it in the future.

But it seems like my 12.9-inch 2018 model is best kept for now. Mainly because it means saving a lot of money, because I can only return the 2020 11 Inch for a full refund. I'm also interested to see if Apple's continued development of iPadOS will include features that take advantage of the improved performance. My ease of adapting to the size of each screen makes it clear to me that you really can't go wrong with any model.

Both devices are close enough in size that they can both function well as the main computer for most people. This is probably very general advice, but I recommend that if you expect to regularly use your iPad Pro as a tablet, an 11-inch is probably your best option. However, if you expect it to be connected almost entirely to a magic keyboard, then 12.9 inches is a good bet. Both devices can work in both modes, but 11 inches is a better tablet and 12.9 inches is a better laptop.